Kids Now is a fun and positive learning environment! Mentors use a well-defined manual that easily guides them through the course curriculum.
Each weekly session includes interactive games, skill-based activities, group discussions and lesson plans designed to address the topics in a fun, energetic and supportive atmosphere.
With a small group size of 10, our students have a safe environment where they can freely express their thoughts and feelings and where they are able to get the encouragement and support they need.
1. SELF-ESTEEM & CONFIDENCE
“Self awareness is the first step in learning and building confidence from within.”
- Understanding Who I Am
- Strengths, Skills &Values
- Embracing strengths & weaknesses
- Celebrating myself
- Believe in potential
- With Self-Esteem peer pressure has no power over me
2. VISION & GOAL SETTING
“Goal setting is a powerful tool for motivating and leading ourselves to reach our greatest potential.”
- Setting long term goals
- Measuring & Assessing progress
- Creative Solution Management
- Time Management
3. RELATIONSHIP & COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS
“Building positive, productive relationships through powerful and effective communication.”
- Giving & receiving feedback: positive, constructive & negative
- Verbal communication skills and non-verbal communication skills
- Learning how to listen
- Speaking and presenting
4. CONFLICT RESOLUTION
“Learning strategies to effectively resolve conflict so that everybody wins”
- Six step solution to conflict
- The power of empathy and appreciating diversity
- Problem solving
- Anti-bullying: Learn to identify and respond to bullying
5. STRESS MANAGEMENT
“Learn tools and techniques for positively managing stress”
- Top 5 Ways to Chill
- Healthy Living Choices
- Identify and understand stressors
Kids Now mentors youth on thinking skills (decision making, problem solving) and personal skills (responsibility, teamwork, self-management) – the criteria identified as most crucial for the future success of high school graduates by The Conference Board of Canada.
Each Kids Now teaching ‘module’ highlights specific employability skills that are learned each week.
- Academic/Fundamental Skills Communication skills, thinking and solving problems, using umbers
- Teamwork Skills Working with others, participating in projects and tasks
- Personal Management Skills demonstrating positive attitudes and behaviours, being adaptable, taking responsibility