OUR INNOVATIVE APPROACH TO LIFE-SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
- Kids Now is a specialized program that helps youth address their teen issues ‘head-on’.
- Our leadership training program was uniquely designed to complement the existing school curriculum.
- The program offers a unique “one-stop-shop” where teens learn 5 important life skills to steer away from negative influences, and to stay on the right track to transition with greater confidence into high school and beyond.
- Our free, in-school 12-week curriculum-based group leadership program equips youth aged 11-14 (Grades 7 & 8) with essential coping and developmental skills that enable them to believe in their abilities and make positive choices.
- Led by trained volunteer adult mentors, and in collaboration with school boards and participating school principals that provide a safe meeting space in their school for free, each of the 12 modules run immediately after school and focus on building self-confidence, setting achievable goals, developing communication & relationship skills, resolving conflicts, overcoming bullying and peer pressure, and managing everyday stress.
QUALIFIED ADULT MENTORS
- We recruit, screen, train and provide ongoing guidance and support for all Mentors. Many of our Mentors come from leading corporate companies and are from the fields of social service, education, arts, health and business, among others.
LOCAL SCHOOL PARTNERSHIPS
- Each participating Kids Now school principal acts as our School Champion to help oversee the program. The School Champion promotes the program to students, manages the signup process and works with the Mentor to ensure that the program runs smoothly in their school.
CONVENIENT PROGRAM LOCATIONS
- Kids Now sessions take place in school, right after school, so it’s convenient for students to participate.
SMALL & COMFORTABLE GROUPS
- Our groups of 10 students to 1 mentor are small enough for individual attention, and large enough for participants to interact and learn how to communicate with their peers. By the end of the program, all students have had the opportunity to speak up, express their thoughts and feelings, lead, coach, develop positive relationships and to put their new found skills into action.
COMPREHENSIVE 12-WEEK PROGRAM
- Our Mentor Manual contains the 12-week curriculum, a step-by-step process for each weekly module. Each week’s session promotes positive interaction through dynamic discussions, brainstorming exercises, fun games and physical activity that reinforce the week’s messages. Mentors can choose from several sample activities, games and group discussions that will appeal to their specific group.
Find out more about our Program Elements.