OUR INNOVATIVE APPROACH TO LIFE-SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
- Kids Now is a specialized program that helps youth address their teen issues ‘head-on’.
- Free, after-school program equips youth aged 11-14 (Grade 7 & 8) with essential life skills they will need to transition into high school successfully.
- Led by trained volunteer adult mentors, our 12 week curriculum based, leadership training program was designed to complement the existing school curriculum, and help build our participants social-emotional skills.
- The Program offers a unique “one-stop-shop” solution where teens learn skills needed to steer away from negative influences and stay on the right track.
QUALIFIED ADULT MENTORS
- We recruit, screen, train and provide ongoing guidance and support for all Mentors.
- Many of our Mentors come from leading corporate companies and are from the fields of social service, education, arts, health and business, among others.
LOCAL SCHOOL PARTNERSHIPS
- Each participating school principal acts as our School Champion to help oversee the program.
- The School Champion promotes the program to students, manages the signup process and works with the Mentor to ensure that the program runs smoothly in their school.
CONVENIENT PROGRAM LOCATIONS
- Our sessions take place in schools right after school, the hours that according to research, most youth crime is committed.
SMALL & COMFORTABLE GROUPS
- Our groups of 10 students to 1 mentor are small enough for individual attention, and large enough for participants to interact and learn how to communicate with their peers.
- By the end of the program, all students have had the opportunity to speak up, express their thoughts and feelings, lead, coach, develop positive relationships and to put their new found skills into action.
COMPREHENSIVE 12 WEEK CURRICULUM
- Our Mentor Manual contains the 12-week curriculum, a step-by-step process for each weekly module.
- Each week’s session promotes positive interaction through dynamic discussions, brainstorming exercises, fun games and physical activity that reinforce the week’s messages.
- Mentors can choose from several sample activities, games and group discussions that will appeal to their specific group.
Find out about our Program Elements.